Saturday, September 17, 2011

A year ago today...

     A year ago today, I was already in labor, but I wasn't SURE it was labor.  I knew it felt "different" when Mark got up to go to work and I had a few pains.  I was 3 days over-due to have our baby.  I had taken the day off because Dr. Cobb scheduled me for a non-stress test (NST).  He wanted to make sure the baby was not in distress and also to do another ultrasound to estimate his/her size.  Remember, we didn't yet know if we were having a boy or a girl.  The ultrasound estimated that our baby was 9 pounds, but could be as little as 8, or as much as 10!  I sure felt like I was carrying a 10 pound baby.  During my NST, I thought I was having contractions, so once Dr. Cobb came in, I asked if the machine could tell if I was or not.  He said, "yes, in fact, you're having one right now!"  Obviously, I already knew this, but this made it REAL for me.  I now knew what I was feeling.  He did say, "well, it could be tonight or another few days.  You never know."  Luckily, it was that night.
     I left the doctor's office and ran some much-needed errands.  I went to the eye doctor's office to pick up my contacts, but they were closed for lunch, so I went to the grocery store to gather some groceries.  While in there, my contractions were getting stronger and I was feeling yuckier.  At one point, I had to stop and just hold onto my cart.  After gathering my groceries, I filled my car up with gas & went back to the doctor's office, only to see that I still had 10 more minutes before they opened.  That was a LONG 10 minutes because the contractions were now HURTING.  I knew I needed to get home, and get home fast.  They finally opened at 1, I got my contacts, and drove home in painful joy, knowing what was going on, for sure, now. 
     The next 4 hours, I labored at home, waiting for Mark to finish his route.  I was able to make cookies for the nurses and Mark's supper in between contractions.  I used our big yoga ball to get through each one and taking a hot bath helped some.  By the time Mark got home, I was READY to go to the hospital.  My contractions were about 5 minutes apart and lasting longer than before.  He took a shower and away we went.  I don't remember the whole ride, but I remember getting in the car and thinking, "we won't come back here without a baby!"  Then another contraction hit and I was gripping the car door in pain.
     For the REST of the story, come back tomorrow, on Marcus' real birthday (since he wasn't actually BORN until the 18th).  Until then, enjoy these pics of our time with Mark's parents. :)

Grandma went with Marcus & I to Weaverville Elementary to take their free Chick-Fil-A Sandwiches.

Marcus laughing at Grandpa.

Who cares if it's 60 degrees outside?  Rules go out the door when Grandpa is here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment