Saturday, February 5, 2011

Simple Pleasures

     Have you ever been around a child that would play more with the box a toy came in than the actual toy?  Well, we are hoping Marcus will be one of those children who is easy to please, and so far, he's showing signs that he's heading that way.  Recently, if he's been fussy, we can do one of three things to get a smile on his face and calm him down, pretty quickly (but to begin with, he's not been "losing his mind fussy" in a long time).  We can either a) put him in front of the mirror and let him smile and babble at himself  b) give him a bath and let him splash until he gets tired (mostly kicking)  or c) take off his pants and socks and let him play with his bare feet. 
     Right now, as I write this, he's in his bouncy chair.  I gave him a colorful toy he could shake or chew on but he keeps dropping it in an effort to get to his feet.  The toy will entertain him for a minute or two, then he sees his feet again and heads for them.  When I change his diaper in the morning, I'd better let him play with his feet first or changing him is a challenge as he fights against me to get to those precious tootsies.  I've been reciting Proverbs 4:26-27 ("Ponder the path of your feet...") to him while moving his feet around.  He giggles as I move them from the right to left and then up and down.  Hopefully, he'll have it memorized by the time he starts talking. :) 
     In other news, he rolled over TWICE this week from his back to his belly, all by himself!  The first time his arms were stuck down by his side and he looked like a beached whale.  The second time (Friday) I left him alone longer and he figured out how to get them up!  I started squealing and jumping around like a fool and he had the sweetest look of pride as we celebrated together. 
     So much to my dismay, time is passing all too quickly, but what a joy it is being parents.  Mark and I were talking about it the other night.  We knew we wanted to be parents and that we'd love it, but we had no idea it'd be this great.  I know there are those nay-sayers out there who say, "wait until your next one..." but we'll enjoy sweet Marcus for now and not worry if the next one will be a terror or not.  And if/when the Lord blesses us with another child, we'll welcome that one into our family with just as much joy and love and we have for Marcus now. 
Last Sunday, Marcus helped me make an announcement at church so he dressed up a little bit.


When I stand above him then act like I'm going to jump on him, he absolutely cracks up.


Marcus and Adelyn had another date this week.  Don't worry, they kept it clean.

"Are you trying to hold my hand?  I think I like that."

This was the first day I put Marcus in these overalls and they're already too short.  But for this picture, he was just pulling them so he could better see his feet.

Marcus is just starting to try to sit on his own.  Putting him in the sink so he could see himself helped him focus. :)
Marcus' camo cap finally fits and he wore it yesterday when we went out.

Playing with Daddy last night before bed.

Stretching and waking up while Daddy cooks french toast.



4 comments:

  1. Those pictures are just great. My personal favorite is the one with the camo hat. I know that is just a big shock. I love the blog and
    I am so glad you both are enjoying parenthood.
    I think parenthood is the most important role you will ever have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just noting that his dad used to spend lots and lots of time doing his hair!! so with Marcus getting all this early exposure to mirrors, he may follow in his footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HE'S SO STINKIN CUTE! Saw your message...I have all my pictures saved but have been so crazy busy that I can't seem to find time to update. I'll work on it :)...LOVE seeing that little fella grow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is the picture of him staring at himself in the sink. So adorable!

    ReplyDelete