Friday, March 25, 2011

What's your life verse?

"All Scripture is God-breathed and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be fully equipped for every good work."  
*2 Timothy 3:16-17*

     Back in January, as Mark and I made our yearly goals, we decided to learn one new set of scriptures each month.  It may sound elementary to some of you, but we had to start somewhere.  January was Proverbs 4:26-27, February was the verses above (2 Timothy 3:16-17), and March's verses are James 4:6-8.  In an effort to look ahead and find the verses for the upcoming months, I asked a few other Christians what their life verses were or if they had any suggestions as to crucial verses that we should teach Marcus.  Now, to be fair, I didn't survey the "top 100 Christians," or even give them a head's up that I was asking. We were just having a conversation.  One person told me something that she lived by, but didn't know if it was a scripture or not (which in the end...it was).  Only ONE other person I spoke with could give me a verse to teach him, and it was John 3:16.  Granted, that's probably THE most important scripture of ALL TIME, but I guess I was looking for something more personal to each of their lives.  The rest of the people either said, "no" or "let me think about it."  I left the game disappointed and befuddled.
     Are we being lulled to sleep by reality tv and secular radio?  Do we feel good when we go to church on Sunday and say "Amen" with the preacher, yet don't look any different from those who are "of the world" around us?  I'm not worthy of condemning anyone, so that's not my point to writing this.  My point is that to be TRANSFORMED (Romans 12) and to LOOK DIFFERENT from the non-Christians, we must, must, MUST be in God's Word, allowing Him to mold and shape us.  I thought about this the other day when a lady from the gym said she was a Christian and I was stunned.  I didn't think she was just because of how she acted, seeing her in the classes, working, etc. but I wondered, "is there anyone who would be stunned when they found out I am a Christian?"
     So, with all that being said, what's your life verse?  Or what's a verse that you will or have already taught your children and one day we should also teach Marcus?  We'd love to hear your responses.  You can leave a comment or e-mail me at leahistall@yahoo.com.  Mark's favorites are Proverbs 3:5-6:  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."  Mine is Proverbs 31:25 which says, "A wife of noble character is clothed with strength and dignity and can laugh at the days to come." Looking forward to what each of you has to say! :)
    

2 comments:

  1. Ephesians 3:20-21
    Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

    Jeremiah 17:7 (NLT) But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.

    Hebrews 4:16(NLT) So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

    Isaiah 55:8-9 (NIV) For my thoughts are not your thoughts,neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

    LOVE THIS!!!! We have a collection of cards called TRUTHcards that were given to us as a gift. They have pictures on one side & a scripture on the other. We've been learning different ones. I'm just praying that the habit will be formed & he will have it hidden in his heart! Sorry I posted so many.... The WORD is SO GOOD! I try to spend as much time in it as possible & I still don't feel like I know enough or spend enough time meditating on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psalm 139, the entire chapter. Different versus mean different things at different times, but for over 10 years it keeps showing its truth in my life.

    ReplyDelete