Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Getting Back to Normal & A New Schedule

     Well, it's been over a week, but both my sweet boys finally seem to be getting better.  Marcus made a much quicker recovery than Mark, even though Mark had antibiotics.  He said it wasn't the worst sore throat he's ever had, but it definitely lasted the longest amount of time.  Either way, we're finally sickness free and I'm SO THANKFUL that I was able to avoid it myself.
     On Saturday, a very nice neighborhood in town had a yard sale and we went to check it out.  Although the rain probably scared many families off, we found a few gems.  For a total of $10 we were able to get some matchbox cars, a big rig truck, a board book, a booster seat (I needed another one for the van ministry at church), 2 VERY NICE Melissa and Doug puzzles, an etch-a-sketch, and the big find (*drum roll please*) a POWER WHEELS 4 WHEELER!  No, it doesn't work, but for $1, I thought it was a steal of a deal.  Heck, Marcus doesn't even know it's SUPPOSED to move on it's own.  He just likes using his feet to make it go.  If we wanted to, though, there's a great battery store in town where we can go and replace the old one.  Either way, it was super fun to find these great deals and not spend a lot of money.
     In other news, Marcus and I have a new morning and afternoon routine.  Matthew is a 4 year old little boy who attends our church via the van ministry.  We've known him and his family for less than a year, but already have seen him grow and mature leaps and bounds.  Nonetheless, he still has a few educational and social roadblocks that concerned me.  After speaking with his grandma (his legal guardian) and Matthew's social worker, we finally got him into a great preschool which offers the type of therapy he needs (occupational, physical, and speech). The only problem was that he had no way to get there.  This family has no mode of transportation and the only time the children get out is when they ride the bus to school or the church van picks them up for church services.  Well, after much deliberation, I decided to take him myself.  I mean think about it.  I have it made right now.  Marcus and I make up our own schedule and it's extremely flexible.  So every day, Monday through Friday, Marcus and I pick Matthew up around 8am and take him to school.  The teachers are very nice and he's extremely comfortable there.  He hardly wants to leave when we pick him up around 4pm. 
     Just like with Marcus, I anticipated teaching Matthew many things on our short seven mile ride each day, but he's teaching me more.  He's preparing me for how it will be when we have two children in the back seat (if the Lord allows it to happen one day), and how good we have it in our situation.  Matthew is one of 4 children who live at this home, some of which are siblings, some are cousins.  It is a stretch to call it a home because it's dirty, stinky, and in an unsafe neighborhood.  His primary guardian is his elderly grandmother, but he's mostly being raised by his 15 year old sister.  Although she does a great job with what she has, obviously these children need a stable home with a mother and father. 
     On one hand, it breaks my heart to pull into his driveway each day, seeing how he has to live.  Yet, on the other, I am filled with warmth when he says, "Hey Marcus!" and happily gets into our car every morning.  He even gave Marcus a hug the other day as we were leaving his classroom.  Matthew is a precious child, created by the same God that made each of us.  He's learning about Jesus in church services and AWANA programs, but hopefully, one day he'll grow up and say he SAW Jesus being lived out by our family.  That is one of our many prayers for this sweet young man.

He enjoyed dipping his chicken into his ketchup WAY too much.

He thought it was hilarious!

"Would you like some chicken with your ketchup?"

Our little techno-man

Checking out his new ride.

"These puzzles are fun, too!"

He's such a big boy now, I can leave him in the basement to play while I work up stairs for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment